Growing up can be stressful and almost all children experience stress at some point in their lives. In today's fast-paced, social media-driven, high-pressured culture, teens are reporting higher levels of stress and anxiety than ever before. The videos and articles below are provided in order to help parents understand what is trending nationally and at Hoban, and how we can help your kids understand and manage their levels of stress and anxiety.
Understanding Stress and Anxiety in Teens
Trending National Articles
Why Are More American Teens Suffering From Severe Anxiety? (Photo at left and article in the New York Times)
How Harnessing the Positive Side of Stress Can Change Student's Mindsets (KQED)
American Teens Are Even More Stressed Than Adults (Huffington Post)
All Stress Is Not Distress (Challenge Success)
6 Reasons Your Teen's Life is More Stressful Than Your Own (The Washington Post)
Angst is a 56-minute film and virtual reality experience that explores anxiety, its causes, effects and what we can do about it. The Angst website is also an outstanding source of information. Click on the links below to visit the following pages:
A comprehensive list of helpful websites
A gallery of helpful apps
Recommended Videos Featuring Denise Pope of Challenge Success
- Helping kids cope with stress (Kids Health from Nemours)
- Teens Talk About stress (Teen Health from Nemours)
- How to Handle Anxiety Fueled Refusals to Go to School (KQED)
- Calm: Need a little more calm in your life? Now available for iPhone or on calm.com, Calm can help you meditate, sleep, relax, focus and much more.
- Mental Workout®: Freedom from Stress and Mindfulness Meditation are just two of the great free lite programs in this app.
- Smiling Mind: Smiling Mind is meditation made easy. A simple tool that helps put a smile on your mind anytime, anywhere and everyday.
- Stop, Breathe, Think: Get meditating in 5 minutes. Easy. With this app, you can develop and apply kindness and compassion in your daily life through a process called STOP, BREATHE & THINK.